This entry is not directly focused on sports but more on posters that choose to disrupt threads on CBSSports.com
There are many adjectives that could be applied to these folks the nicer ones being trolls or stalkers. They have many methods to gain some kind of perverse pleasure in angering or drawing others into losing their tempers or getting warned. There are some threads that are dedicated to slamming one another which is okay - you get what you ask for. Unfortunately, these trolls do not limit their bile to these threads instead they stalk people on sports threads or off topic threads where people just want to have good natured banter.
Some trolls have banded together and gang up on individual posters. Some posters try to combat them using their own methods but usually this is a futile effort since they have not invested the time to study the terms of service so closely they know how to use them to their advantage.
The trolls also communicate to the message board administrators so that they can have warnings removed or to lobby to get other posters who respond to their taunts and baiting in trouble through warnings.
These trolls rely on the bully mentality of ganging up on a poster. I’m sure many of you have witnessed this type of infantile behavior. The trolls rarely can stand up on their own in a tit for tat but rely on numbers to hound their prey. The trolls also use multiple ID’s which is permissible under the terms of service but provides them two advantages. One is that they can have multiple reports issued against an otherwise innocuous message and secondly it spreads out the warnings they do receive over a number of ID’s so that they can avoid being banned.
The most insidious trolls are those that befriend regulars on a thread in order to strike at others. Once a victim responds, the trolls will then cry foul and enlist the aid of their new found friends. However, one their hypocritical behavior is discovered they turn on their new friends that had just been defending them.
Gutless behavior by persons who have low self-esteem that want to drag people down to their level.
Known Trolls and Stalkers need not respond to this entry - your messages will be removed if deemed offensive.
COMMUNITY SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
Managing Troll infestations
1. Ignore trolls whenever possible.
2. When ignoring does not work, report persistent trolls to the admins.
3. If warnings/bannings do not work; engagement may be necessary. (see 4-7)
4. Honesty is the best policy; do not lie or exaggerate - stick to the facts.
5. Acknowledge inadvertent compliments with a thank you - take the high road and be objective.
6. Admit if you make a mistake or commit an error - the facts are your friend when engaging a troll.
7. Be alert that the trolls will lie or use omission and will attempt to paint you as a troll - persevere and be patient history and the facts are on your side.
8. Go back to ignore mode. Make sure the trolls are not on your favorites list - leave the stalking to them.
9. Always remain patient. Trolls are pathetic creatures that merit pity not anger.
Hope this helps those of you with a troll infestation.
Veritas vos Liberabit